Friday, March 12, 2010

Frogs, Frogs, Frogs

Last night we heard the strangest sound outside. I actually thought it was Eric snoring. But, when he woke up and went in the kitchen, I knew it wasn't him. We went outside to see if we could figure it out. Low and behold if Eric didn't find a frog in the pool. The sound subsided while he was standing right there, but returned once we were in bed. We got a phone call about 3:00 a.m. It was our next door neighbor calling to see if the noise was one of our outside dogs in pain.Imagine my surprise when I went outside and saw about 30 frogs in the pool. Not only were there a ton of frogs, but they were mating. Oh My!! I have never seen anything like it. There are even frog eggs in the pool. I was able to get a few so I can take them into my class on Monday. We are learning about frogs this upcoming week. I hope they hatch and we have tadpoles.

The frog mating call is like none other I've ever heard. Happy mating, Mr. Frog.

The actually swim and dive in that position.


Look to the left and you can see frog eggs

All I had to do was pull some pine straw out of the pool and found a ton of eggs.