Sunday, December 21, 2008

Bah-humbug

That's the way I feel this holiday season. Usually I am like a little kid at Christmas time. I love the sights, sounds, and smells of Christmas. I love watching children's eyes sparkle as they see Santa, lights, and presents. I love decorating and sitting in the dark room with nothing but the Christmas tree lit up. I love to reminisce of my childhood traditions. However.....

I just can't get into the spirit this year. It took us a solid week to decorate. We bought a tree, pulled everything down out of the attic and there is sat. I would dabble a little bit each night. But it was a true week later that all of the tubs went back into the attic. I've bought a few presents, but I'm not anywhere near done. I haven't done a Christmas card. I don't think one will get sent at this point. I did sponsor a child from school. That didn't even bring me joy.

I think a lot of it boils down to the economy. As with so many others, things are tight. I love to give, give, give. I spend a lot of time finding that "Just right gift" for everyone. I want it to be a special time for everyone. While we've been fortunate in the past few years to splurge, that is not happening this year. Eric did not receive a bonus this year. That's how we usually finish our shopping. With the economy like it is, the chicken business is losing money. So....I need to tell myself over and over....it's not about the presents. It's about spending time with family and loved ones. Please help me get the Christmas spirit. It's just not happening.

0 comments: