Monday, January 26, 2009

Preteen Girls

Wow. When I dreamed of having a girl many years ago, I did not fully understand the complexity of that wish.

Rebecca is having some issues with friendship lately. I have know for a few weeks that something was wrong, but could never get her to admit it. She did finally talk to me about a few things yesterday. We discussed it all with Eric and he and I gave her some suggestions on how to handle the situation. The main thing we emphasized was treating others the way you want to be treated. Those were the last words I uttered to her as she got out of the van this morning.

Fast forward to the ride home this afternoon. I asked her how things went today and she said the she and her friend had talked and expressed their concerns. I could tell ( and even told her so) that she was telling me the "big picture" and that there were more details to the story she was leaving out. I could never find the right combination of words to get her to spill the beans, so I let it ride.

About 2 hours after being at home, the phone rang. It was the mother of the friend. I found out the little details. Of course all of the little details were the ones that incriminated Rebecca. It was sad to hear them from another parent.

I'm sure this won't be the last time this happens. It just breaks my heart as a parent. It brings back so many memories of my tween years. I am trying so hard to teach her how not to do what I did. But....as the saying goes...I don't know what I'm talking about in the eyes of a tween.

1 comments:

Megan Fletcher said...

I can't say I envy the stage you're in with Rebecca any more than the stage I'm at with three preschoolers! I absolutely love teenagers and have enjoyed ministering to them (through all those friendship messes even!) in the years up 'til now, but I'm sure it will be different when my own are that age. Make sure to post the victorious moments, too.

Thanks for your encouraging notes on my blog. I appreciate you!