Saturday, August 9, 2008

Orientation

It seems like just yesterday that Rebecca was driving her Barbie jeep over to Ms. Mundy's house to spend the night. On Thursday, I dropped Rebecca off at the middle school for a sixth grade orientation. The entire time we were in the drop off line Rebecca kept saying "I don't want to do this. Momma, take me home." She thought I was going to walk her in. I told her no that I didn't want to embarrass her. She was very nervous, but got out of the car and went to find out where to go.

I, on the other hand, was a wreck. As I drove away, down came the tears. This is a very hard thing for me to do. She has been at the same school as me for 5 years. I called my parents for a little comfort. However, I knew deep down that I would not get sympathy. I was right. Dad got a BIG laugh out of me. He loves it when Jennifer and I call to tell him stories about our kids.

Anywhooo, Rebecca loved her orientation. They did a scavenger hunt to find out where things were located in the building. They did a survey, ate lunch, and the all important thing to an incoming 6th grader.....practiced opening a locker. They even had relay races to see which team could open theirs the quickest. Rebecca's team won the locker race. She won the scavenger hunt for her group. She got a t-shirt as a prize. She was very proud of it. When she put it on, I teared up again. What will I do on the first day of school?

Ready to go.
My middle school girl.
The goofy girl
A view of the back of the school.
Her new t-shirt


1 comments:

Unknown said...

So hard to believe!